Reebok Blue Studio Pink Cloud White Women's Shoes Motion Cardio Digital Slate Spirit Gray frB7rgWXnq
You’ve been diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension… now what? Although there is currently no cure for pulmonary hypertension, there are treatment options available and more are on the horizon. Treatments include conventional medical therapies and oral, inhaled, intravenous (into the vein) and subcutaneous (into the skin) options. Depending on the severity of PH, heart or lung transplant may also be an option.
Remember that each patient is different. It is essential that you talk to your own doctor about what treatment options are best for you.
Fact Sheets Issued by PHA’s Scientific Leadership Council
Conventional Medical Therapies
- Calcium Channel Blockers (CCB) – Help decrease blood pressure Shoes Reebok Cardio Digital Motion Studio Women's Spirit Slate Blue White Pink Cloud Gray (Only appropriate for a small minority of patients demonstrating a favorable response to vasodilator testing at the time of heart catheterization.)
- Digoxin – Assists the pumping of the heart
- Diuretics – Rids excess fluid that puts pressure on the heart
- Oxygen – Inhaled by patients via a nasal cannula or face mask
- Warfarin (CoumadinGray Women's Motion Reebok Studio Slate Pink Spirit Digital Cardio White Cloud Shoes Blue ®) – “Thins” blood and prevents it from clotting
Oral Treatment Options
Endothelin Receptor Antagonists (ERAs) help prevent blood vessels from narrowing.
- Ambrisentan (Letairis®)
- Bosentan (TracleerReebok Motion Cloud Studio White Spirit Digital Cardio Slate Women's Shoes Pink Blue Gray ®)
- Bosentan (TracleerMotion Slate Studio White Pink Reebok Spirit Shoes Cloud Cardio Women's Blue Digital Gray ®) for Pediatric Use
- Macitentan (Opsumit®)
Phosphodiesterase Inhibitors (PDE 5 Inhibitors) allow the lungs to produce more of its own natural vasodilators.
- Sildenafil (Revatio™)
- Sildenafil (Revatio™) for Pediatric Use
- Tadalafil (Adcirca®Ecentrcq Fashion Steve Madden Women's White Sneaker qAnHawz)
Prostacyclin Analogue allows the blood vessels in the lungs relax
Selective IP Receptor Agonist targets and activates a prostacyclin receptor helping the blood vessels in the lungs relax
Soluble Guanylate Cyclase (sGC) Stimulators increase the interaction of sGC with another chemical (nitric oxide) to help the blood vessels in the lungs relax.
Inhaled Treatment Options
Inhaled Treatment Options, such as prostacyclins, relieve shortness of breath.
Intravenous Treatment Options
Intravenous Treatment Options open up the blood vessels and help ease symptoms of PH, including chest pain and shortness of breath.
- Intravenous Treprostinil (Remodulin®)
- Epoprostenol (Flolan®)
- Room Temperature Stable Epoprostenol (Veletri®)
Subcutaneous Treatment Options
Subcutaneous Treatment Options are delivered through a portable infusion pump to open up the blood vessels and ease the symptoms of PH.
Research and Clinical Trials
Read about participating in research and clinical trials
Stem Cell Therapy
Read about stem cell therapy and PH
Visit our lung transplantation section